Adding a new species
There are five stages to setting up a new species.
1. Add to the Species Master
The Species Master is an Excel spreadsheet stored in the dropbox. It lists all species that have been added to NatureSpot together with their taxonomy, menu placings, weighting (order to appear) plus their descriptive accounts. The Species Master also helps when setting up the taxonomy and weighting by comparing the new species to other similar entries. Once complete, the entries can be copied into the various fields below.
2. Add to the Drupal taxonomy
- Open the Browse Species Taxonomy page (in the Admin menu) - http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species-taxonomy-top
- The taxonomy starts with the highest taxonomic entries, ie Kingdom. Click on the relevant entry and the next level within that category will appear. Keep drilling down (through class, order, family, etc.) until the species level is reached. Add the new species using the form at the bottom of the page (in description enter 'species').
- If the new species is in a new class, order, family, etc., then these terms must be created at the higher levels before the species can be added.
3. Set up the new species page
This uses a blank Species page which should be familiar to most Site Editors.
- In the Drupal admin menu, select Content, then Add Content (blue button at top), then Species (or use this link: Add New Species)
- Fill in the boxes by copying over the entries from the Species Master, including:
- Title - Common Name where available, otherwise latin name
- Alt Name - If more than one, enter each on a new row
- Photo ID - enter the letter R, A or G (don't leave this field blank, if unsure, enter R)
- ID Guidance - enter as bullet points any key ID features
- NBN Number - must be entered
- (Imported Indicia Data - leave blank)
- Species library menu - add the Menu Parent, and if a gall or caterpillar enter the Secondary Menu Parent in a second box
- Taxa - start typing the species latin name, it should then appear in the taxonomy menu below. Select from the menu.
Note the map won't update until the Indicia entry has been made. Also note there is a caching delay.
4. Add the species to Indicia
- Log onto Indicia, go to Look up lists then Species Lists and find NatureSpot on the list and select 'edit'
- Select the taxa tab then the 'New Taxon' button at the bottom
- Fill in the template:
- Taxon Name - enter the latin name (ignore Authority) then select 'latin' from the language menu.
- Common names and Synonyms - copy from the Species Master (these also appear on the species menu in addition to the latin name)
- Taxon group - copy from the Species Master (this is the group that appears on the home page menu)
- Taxon rank - enter 'species'
- External key - copy in the NBN number
5. Add images
Once the new species record has been submitted and verified we can add any images to the new species page.
- Go back to Browse Species Taxonomy page and drill through the pages to get to the species listings (the new species page should now be linked and showing in the next column
- Open the edit images link (in the right hand column). The images are in three sections: top = main species page, middle = additional images, bottom = hidden images (these are partially greyed out)
- Open the edit page of any image we want to display and amend as follows:
- Select 'Promoted to front page' to show on the main species page
- Select the Priority with reference to the numbers of those already being displayed (see the sections above) NB Priority 1 displays the image in the main gallery.
- Select 'Save and Publish' at the bottom of the page
- To remove an image from being displayed, open the edit page and select 'Save as Unpublished'